- To pass the examination, you will need to type 150 letters/minute (normal mode) or 100 letters/minute (covered mode) with less than 9 errors.
- The result is pass or fail. You will not get better grade even if you can type faster.
- In case you fail, after your grade is determined by other criteria, it will be brought down one rank (S->A, A->B, B->C), but C will not go down to D. In addition, you must take Fundamentals of Information Technology 2 and pass the typing exam in the next semester.
- If there is difficulty to practice typing due to injury, the typing exam will be excluded from the requirements by submitting a medical certificate. In this case, you must take Fundamentals of Information Technology 2 and pass the typing exam in the next semester.
- If you are handicapped or aged, please consult the teacher. Special consideration may be given.
- We will have an examination about the following topics:
- Judging if something violates the copyright law.
- Understanding software licenses.
- Understanding characteristics of analog and digital.
- Understanding procedures to convert analog to digital.
- Calculating binary and hexadecimal numbers.
- Judging if a proposition is true of false using the propositional logics.
- Calculating amount of information.
- Understanding how characters are stored in computers.
- Understanding mechanisms of data compression.
- Understanding characteristics of image file formats.
- Understanding structures and functions of hardware.
- Understanding functions of operating systems.
- See About Knowledge Exam for exam coverage and the online exam system.
- The allotment is 40points.
- We will conduct the exam twice in class. The higher score is adopted.
- We will have a mini project about the following topics:
- Acquiring operations of tools needed for web page authoring such as editors and browsers.
- Writing web pages in HTML that include structures such as headings, paragraphs and lists.
- Writing web pages that include images.
- Specifying locations of files using absolute and relative paths.
- Connecting web pages with links.
- Specifying properties such as colors of characters and sizes of images using CSS.
- Writing web pages that take web accessibility into consideration.
- Making different expressions depending on users’ inputs.
- The allotment is 40points.
- You will get 20points if you fulfill the minimum requirements listed below. In addition, you will get at most 20points depending on the degree of achievement of topics listed above. See About Final Project for more detailed criteria.
- Two or more pages are connected by links.
- There are interactive pages (i.e. different expressions will be presented depending on users’ inputs).
- In case the project is carried out by a group, each student must take charge of some pages. Each page must be written by the student in charge individually.
- When you quote sentences, images or programs, the sources must be clearly identified. In case you are taught by your friend, you should write to that effect in your paper or a comment in your program. Quoting without identifying their sources is a fraudulent behavior and thus, credits may not be awarded for any courses taken in this semester.
- Teachers will evaluate regarding to the following topics in class.
- Trying to solve problems by asking questions actively.
- Getting knowledge needed from materials on Internet.
- Clearly communicating his/her concepts to others.
- The allotment is 20points.
- Note that mere attendances are not enough.
- Apply the table below to the total of Knowledge Exam, Final Project and Class Participation.
90point or more S 80point – 89point A 70point – 79point B 60point – 69point C 59point or less D
- In case you fail the typing exam, grade S, A and B will go down one step to A, B and C.
- If you get the grade D, you must take FUNDAMENTALS OF INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY 1 again. Since we have no GIGA classes in the spring semester, you must wait until the next fall semester.
- If you earn the credit, but fail the typing exam, you must take FUNDAMENTALS OF INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY 2. You need to take the typing exam in the course. If you fail the typing exam again, you will get the grade D.
- Otherwise, there is no restriction. FUNDAMENTALS OF INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY 2 is strongly recommended, but you can take level 3 courses if you get the grade A.
|Typing Exam||Pass||No restriction in the next semester.
FUNDAMENTALS OF INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY 2 is strongly recommended
|FUNDAMENTALS OF INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY 1 in the next year.|
|Fail||FUNDAMENTALS OF INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY 2 in the next semester.
Need to pass the typing exam in the next semester.
|1||FUNDAMENTALS OF INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY 1||2||2|
|2||FUNDAMENTALS OF INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY 2||2||2|
|3||FUNDAMENTALS OF SYSTEM PROGRAMMING||1||2|
|FUNDAMENTALS OF OBJECT-ORIENTED PROGRAMMING||1||2|
|FUNDAMENTALS OF PROGRAMMING WITH SCRIPT LANGUAGES||1||2|